Various officers are available for group presentations, or individual home security surveys. Watch for safety tips on this web page.
Vacation Protection Checklist
It is the goal of the Seabrook Police Department to help insure the safety of every individual home while it remains unoccupied during the family vacation. Therefore, the crime prevention bureau is supplying you with a “vacation protection checklist” for your peace of mind while you are away.
- Notify trusted neighbors that you’ll be gone. Ask them to watch your house.
- Have a friend mow your lawn, or shovel your walkway/driveway.
- Have the post office hold your mail.
- Stop newspaper delivery.
- Ask a trusted friend or neighbor to pick up anything that is delivered to your house.
- Use timer switches or ask a neighbor to turn lights and radio on and off at appropriate times.
- Notify police that you will be out of town. They will pay special attention to your home while they are on patrol.
- Leave key with a trusted neighbor who can look inside your house daily, rearrange drapes or blinds, anything to give your home that lived in look.
- Remove anything of extreme value from your house and put it in a safe place while you are gone.
- Use photosensitive or motion detection lighting. Photosensitive will automatically turn lights on and off, motion detection will only go on when an object passes through its path.
- The crime prevention bureau is available and willing to assist you better securing your home while you are away. For more information about security devices and other safety measures please contact the crime prevention officer sgt. Michael frost.
Points To Remember
The weakest point of a good lock may be the stick plate which secures the bolt when the door is locked.
Thin gauge metal strike plates should be replaced with a heavy duty plate, secured with 2.5″ screws. This adds protection to the jamb and is relatively inexpensive. Where the frame appears weak, future security can be added by recommending the long high security strike plate, also secured with 2.5″ screws.
Rim strike plate boxes can be strengthened by replacing short screws with longer ones. A high security stick box offers good protection if the jamb is likely to split when the door is kicked. Note: screws which the manufacturer provides are usually 0.75″